Using Physics Helper in Windows Phone Game instead of Windows Phone Application

Feb 8, 2011 at 4:20 AM
Edited Feb 8, 2011 at 4:21 AM

Hi,

This is a total newbie question.  I'm new to developing WP7 apps, and I noticed that there are at least two types of WP7 game projects: Windows Phone Application, which as far as I can tell is Silverlight-based, and Windows Phone Game, which uses the Game object from the Microsoft.Xna.Framework namespace.

I found out about the Physics Helper because I was admittedly struggling with integrating the Farseer Physics Engine into my Windows Phone Game-based project.  I noticed that the Physics Helper creates a Windows Phone Application project, and I was wondering, is it possible to use this helper to create or at least help develop a Windows Phone Game project?

Thanks,

George

Feb 8, 2011 at 5:14 AM

Whelp, I should have researched this before opening my neophyte mouth:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg490774.aspx

Looks like the Physics helper uses Expression Blend, which then I think means that it caters to a Windows Phone Application (and not Windows Phone Game).  Am I right?

Coordinator
Feb 8, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Yes, the Physics Helper works with Silverlight/Expression Blend on WP7 and the desktop.

Windows Phone Game projects use XNA which works on WP7, Xbox, and desktop Windows. You could use the Farseer Physics Engine with XNA, but not the Physics Helper.